The University of Exeter Business School is a leading institution in the UK, known for its innovative teaching and research, as well as its commitment to sustainability. Here are some key points about the school:
- Programs: The University of Exeter Business School offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and research degree programs in a range of business and management fields, including accounting, finance, economics, marketing, entrepreneurship, and more. The school also offers an MBA program and a range of executive education courses.
- Rankings: The University of Exeter Business School is consistently ranked among the top business schools in the UK and globally. For example, the school’s MBA program was ranked #1 in the UK and #20 globally by the Financial Times in 2021.
- Research: The school is known for its cutting-edge research in areas such as sustainable business, entrepreneurship, and innovation. The school’s research has been published in top academic journals and has had a significant impact on business and society.
- Partnerships: The University of Exeter Business School has strong partnerships with industry, government, and academic institutions around the world. These partnerships help to enrich the school’s teaching and research, as well as provide valuable opportunities for students and faculty.
- Campus: The school is based at the University of Exeter’s Streatham Campus, which is located in the historic city of Exeter in the southwest of England. The campus offers modern facilities and a supportive learning environment, as well as easy access to the city’s many cultural and recreational attractions.
About Exeter MBA
Duration Full time 1 year – Part-time 30 months
Discipline Business and Management
Location Exeter (Streatham)
Start date September
For ambitious professionals with at least three years of work experience, you can accelerate or redirect your career with our internationally accredited MBA programme.
Our unique MBA will equip you with the tools and skills in purposeful leadership, innovation and technology to not only transform yourself, but also the world around you, for good.
The programme is flexible and is available to study full time over 12-months, or as a part time executive option over 24-36 months.
Our Exeter MBA is built around the latest thinking and techniques from a wide range of management disciplines. A solid grounding in core business disciplines is acquired through our core modules while elective specialist modules enable you to specialise in your area of interest and tailor the programme to your career needs. The programme culminates with our Exeter MBA in-company, consultancy project.
Study trips, company visits, group challenges and simulations complement lectures and seminars led by professionals and academics specialists in their field. A range of extra-curricular activities, such as our guest speakers programme and MBA workshops delivered by our corporate partners run throughout the duration of the programme to complement your learning and provide opportunities to further build your skills, knowledge and understanding.
Induction and Pre-Sessional programmes
Specially designed for participants taking a career break after a period of time away from the world of study, our induction programme is designed to support your return to education through workshops and team building activities. In addition, and following feedback from our students, we are offering you the opportunity to take the fear out of accounting, finance and economics by opting in for our week long, extended pre-sessional programme for MBA students with no background in economics, finance and accounting.
Learning and teaching
Our postgraduate taught programmes utilise a range of teaching methods including lectures, seminars and tutorials.
The aim of lectures is to give you information on ideas that are central to the module and to help you in developing your understanding of complex ideas. Many of the teaching materials for lectures are made available to you electronically to accompany the notes you take during the lecture. Lectures are given by a range of staff members, including leading professors, who integrate their latest research findings into the teaching that you receive. Guest lecturers, including members of industry, also contribute to some modules.
Seminars and tutorials
Seminars and tutorials involve an in-depth exploration of the issues covered in lectures as well as giving you the opportunity to discuss various concepts and theories and receive feedback on your written assignments.
Modules are assessed through a mixture of group work, coursework, project work and examinations; the weighting of each of these components will vary according to the academic requirements of the module. Examinations are normally held at the end of the module, in January and May/June.
The MBA students have a dedicated Careers Consultant who runs workshops and a one-to-one advisory service on CV development, interview skills, career planning and how to negotiate on job offers. Tailored to individual requirements and needs, coaching is available to all students and provides a confidential and objective environment for students to explore and develop ideas and opportunities.
There are a mix of interactive and written resources relating to career planning, CV and cover letter writing, effective networking, interview preparation and working with recruiters. Head-hunter agencies are also invited to present to the MBA cohort on CV and interview techniques and mock interviews are run by alumni, corporate partners and careers agencies. Learning Resources
The University Library maintains its principal collections in the main library buildings on the Streatham and St Luke’s campuses, together with a number of specialist collections in certain Colleges. The total Library collection comprises over a million volumes and 3000 current periodical subscriptions.
The MBA Office also keeps the latest editions of the Economist, Management Today, Entrepreneurship and the Professional Manager available to students. The library provides an extensive range of full-text electronic journals (e.g. EBSCO) which can be searched from on and off-campus.
Admission to the MBA programme is usually dependent upon a good first degree and a minimum of three years’ managerial experience. Many applicants find that they possess extensive work experience, eg. eight years or more, or have attained a professional qualification but not completed formal degrees. Non-academic achievements are taken into consideration, therefore applicants with one or more of the following skills and experience are welcome and encouraged to submit an application:
- Mature managers with extensive work experience.
- Extensive experience of technical or specialist work.
- Professionals planning career changes or returning to employment after a break from work.
- Professionals seeking to develop skills for broader management roles.
- We also require two references (ideally including one from your last university) and a personal statement explaining why you are interested in an MBA at Exeter.
Successful applicants for this programme must demonstrate a sound knowledge and understanding of the Exeter MBA in their personal statement
Pre-Masters programme for international students
The Graduate Diploma in Management run by the INTO University of Exeter Centre is a pre-Masters programme designed to enhance your subject knowledge, study skills and English ability. Successful completion of the Diploma (subject to achieving the specific grades of entry) gives students from overseas the skills needed for acceptance onto this Masters programme.
Requirements for international students
If you are an international student, please visit our international equivalency pages to enable you to see if your existing academic qualifications meet our entry requirements.
English language requirements
At least 7.0 overall and no less than 6.0 in any other section.
At least 100 with minimum scores of 21 for writing, 21 for listening, 22 for reading and 23 for speaking.
Pearson Test of English (Academic)
65 with no less than 55 in all skills.
Other accepted tests
Information about other acceptable tests of linguistic ability can be found on our English language requirements page.
Applicants with lower English language test scores may be able to take pre-sessional English at INTO University of Exeter prior to commencing their programme. See our English language requirements page for more information.
We also require two references (ideally including one from your last university) together with a personal statement explaining why you are interested in the One Planet MBA.
Fees and funding
Tuition fees per year 2019/20
- All students: £30,000 full-time
Fees can normally be paid by two termly instalments and may be paid online. You will also be required to pay a tuition fee deposit to secure your offer of a place, unless you qualify for exemption. For further information about paying fees see our Student Fees pages.
UK government postgraduate loan scheme
Postgraduate loans of up to £10,609 are now available for Masters degrees.
- MBA scholarships of up to £25,000 are available – find out more on the MBA website
Global Excellence Scholarship
We are delighted to offer Global Excellence Scholarships for students of outstanding academic quality applying to postgraduate Taught programmes starting in autumn 2019.